Pages

Monday 14 March 2016

A Monday Motivation Meal Mish-Mash!


My #MondayMotivation has kept pace with my appetite, or maybe that's the other way around...... and my supper/dinner, call it what you will if it's a meal eaten around 6 - 7 pm, has turned into a mish-mash of what I fancy and what is in the fridge.

An avocado I purchased...... last week! would you believe.....has eventually, with the assistance of the unseasonal sunshine of the last 2 days, bloomed into full, smooth and sleek ripeness just perfect for my spinach salad.
When I added it's creamy slices to a bowl of mixed leaves and baby spinach, I thought it looked a little lonely so I added some vegetable ribbons. These are fun, and so easy to make, and, it's a perfect task to get kids involved in the kitchen.
Simply take a vegetable peeler and peel the outside from a carrot, I also use cucumber, once you get rid of the outer rough layer you can just keep peeling long strips. I always count 2 strips then give the carrot a quarter turn, count another 2 and so on. The ribbons are more uniform that way.......yes I am obsessive over shape and form. A few slices of spring and red salad onion, a drizzle of balsamic or other dressing and away you go!

Next up were the sweet potato oven chips, and can I just say....where were sweet potatoes all my young life?  I can't seem to get enough of them now. I love them baked, chipped, mashed, but definitely not in a pie! I know I'm letting down the American side of the family but to me sweet potato are much better in a savory style. Oven baked chips are the fastest way to cook the sweet potato......simply remove the hard red outer peel, cut into thick slices, then into long finger like chips, toss in a little olive oil, a dash of sea salt, fresh black pepper and maybe a little paprika and roast in the oven at 180oC for apporx 15 - 18 minutes until crisp on the outside and just a teeny bit firm in the centre.

As I was cooking fresh linguine with a tomato and oregano sauce for the teens I couldn't resist pinching a bit for myself......just 2 forkfuls.....honestly!...... a few broccoli florets and supper was on the table.......and delicious it was too......now I have to think about what to have tomorrow.......food....I'm either eating it or thinking about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment