Pages

Friday 25 March 2016

Boozy Blush Granita


The much anticipated Easter weekend is upon us and Easter Sunday, if you celebrate that sort of thing, is another one of those days when families and their extended relations make an effort to get together and enjoy some delicious food, namely the Spring lamb.

This year though, we as a family are eschewing.....what a wonderful word.....the traditional roast leg of lamb in favor of pork, and boy have I found it difficult to get the specific cut of pork I wanted.
I went from butcher to butcher in quest of a whole piece of pork belly......yes it can be bought in the supermarket (I can hear you shouting at your screen!).....but here it always comes pre-sliced, and as I wanted to marinade the joint and slice it myself, this will not do. In the absence of pork belly I asked for loin of pork....it certainly wouldn't be as moist as the pork belly, but I would be able to add ample flavor....sadly it was not to be. The only pork loin joint on offer came minus it's delicious skin, which makes the scrumptious 'crackling'........and was presented to me in that mass produced vacuum packed, pumped with added water manner seemingly preferred by the public in general.........I was flabbergasted....how can this be? I asked perplexed......but according to each butcher, people don't like their pork that 'other' way.......oh you mean naturally! I replied with a bucket sarcasm......so now it's Friday night and I have nothing for Sunday lunch which means I will have to trail back into town tomorrow and see what's left...such fun!

So to cheer myself up this evening I have made a Boozy Blush Granita.....oh alright, I confess, it was just an excuse to crack open a bottle of rose wine....but I did have these ripe, bejewelled pink plums and some raspberries that needed seeing to.
To make this refreshing granita......which is just the thing for cleansing the palate after roast lamb...... you will need.......... (this will serve 8 folks or so)


500 g ripe red / purple plums      
250 g fresh raspberries .......frozen ones really don't do this justice I've discovered...remember to keep some aside for decoration later too
200 g castor sugar
300 mls rose wine ........I used a Conde Noble Vina Rosado from Spain...cheap & cheerful but delish!
300 mls water ......use bottled spring water and chill it in the refrigerator

How to.......

  • wash the plums, cut in half, remove the stone then cut in slices or dice 
  • wash the raspberries and set aside
  • place the plums in a saucepan, add the castor sugar and 150 mls of the wine
  • bring to the boil gently, stirring all the while to dissolve the sugar, then turn the heat down low and cover with a lid
  • cook gently until the plums are beginning to 'burst' and soften
  • add the raspberries, stir in and cover once more, cook until the raspberries are soft
  • add the remaining wine, bring to the boil then turn the heat off, stand for 10 minutes then add the chilled spring water
Puree the mixture using a hand blender or in a food processor
Pass through a fine mesh sieve to remove any seeds
  • pour your smooth mixture into a suitable container and place in the freezer
  • check every hour and as it freezes mash it down with a fork to get those lovely ice crystals characteristic of a granita 

When almost frozen you can place the granita into individual serving glasses and then serve them straight from the freezer.....you'll then get a lovely frosting effect on the glasses as they melt!

No comments:

Post a Comment